Lesson No. 339
(Acts Chapter 11)
“News Flash! Gentiles Granted Repentance Unto Life!"
^Click the Start arrow on the player above to listen to this Bible Study
ACTS CHAPTER 11
Peter defends his preaching to Gentiles
1 And the apostles and brethren that were in Judaea heard that the Gentiles had also received the word of God. 2 And when Peter was come up to Jerusalem, they that were of the circumcision contended with him, 3 saying, Thou wentest in to men uncircumcised, and didst eat with them.
4 But Peter rehearsed the matter from the beginning, and expounded it by order unto them, saying, 5 I was in the city of Joppa praying: and in a trance I saw a vision, A certain vessel descend, as it had been a great sheet, let down from heaven by four corners; and it came even to me: 6 upon the which when I had fastened mine eyes, I considered, and saw fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air. 7 And I heard a voice saying unto me, Arise, Peter; slay and eat.
8 But I said, Not so, Lord: for nothing common or unclean hath at any time entered into my mouth.
9 But the voice answered me again from heaven, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.
10 And this was done three times: and all were drawn up again into heaven. 11 And, behold, immediately there were three men already come unto the house where I was, sent from Caesarea unto me. 12 And the Spirit bade me go with them, nothing doubting. Moreover these six brethren accompanied me, and we entered into the man’s house: 13 and he shewed us how he had seen an angel in his house, which stood and said unto him, Send men to Joppa, and call for Simon, whose surname is Peter; 14 who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved.
15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning. 16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost. 17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?
18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.
The Gentile church in Antioch
19 Now they which were scattered abroad upon the persecution that arose about Stephen travelled as far as Phenice, and Cyprus, and Antioch, preaching the word to none but unto the Jews only. 20 And some of them were men of Cyprus and Cyrene, which, when they were come to Antioch, spake unto the Grecians, preaching the Lord Jesus. 21 And the hand of the Lord was with them: and a great number believed, and turned unto the Lord.
22 Then tidings of these things came unto the ears of the church which was in Jerusalem: and they sent forth Barnabas, that he should go as far as Antioch. 23 Who, when he came, and had seen the grace of God, was glad, and exhorted them all, that with purpose of heart they would cleave unto the Lord. 24 For he was a good man, and full of the Holy Ghost and of faith: and much people was added unto the Lord.
25 Then departed Barnabas to Tarsus, for to seek Saul: 26 and when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
27 And in these days came prophets from Jerusalem unto Antioch. 28 And there stood up one of them named Agabus, and signified by the Spirit that there should be great dearth throughout all the world: which came to pass in the days of Claudius Caesar. 29 Then the disciples, every man according to his ability, determined to send relief unto the brethren which dwelt in Judaea: 30 which also they did, and sent it to the elders by the hands of Barnabas and Saul.
Lesson No. 369 "News Flash! Gentiles Granted Repentance Unto Life!"
Acts Chapter 11 01/08/2017
1) What was the reaction of the 'brethren' regarding the news that the Gentiles had also received the word of God? (Hint: verses 1-3)
2) How did Peter respond? Did he try in any way to change the story, defend himself, or do anything but communicate the truth? (Hint: verses 4-17)
3) Peter did say something very important for us regarding choosing to obey God, public opinion, or our own flesh in verse 17. What was it?
4) How did the apostles and brethren respond to Peter's story? (Hint: verse 18)
5) How did this event change the efforts of the Christians to spread the Word of God? Note how Luke describes the missionaries. (Hint: verses 19-21)
6) When word of the reception of the Word by the Gentiles, what did the church do, who did they send, and why? (Hint: verses 22-24)
7) With his mission at hand, what did Barnabas do and who do did he select to help him accomplish his task? How did he know to pick Saul? (Hint: verses 25-26 and also Acts 9: 15). Note- our name appears in verse 26! What were we called before this? (Who's way?)
8) So, how did God guide the early church in current and future events? (Hint: 27-28) How did the church respond in those days as compared to today? Note Ephesians 3: 11-13.
9) So, knowing that a great dearth was coming, what did the church do? (Hint: verses 29-30)
10) Is this what we are suppose to do today? Do we?
11) We see how one person like Barnabas, can be so very influential in another's life who is called do other things very important to God as he so gifts us. Note- Billy Sunday and Billy Graham.
To download this Bible study to listen to off-line, right click the following links and select "Save target as" (or "Save link as") and navigate to where you would like to save them on your computer.